Bugtraq mailing list archives

Re: Linux /usr/bin/gnuplot overflow

From: schaefer () ALPHANET CH (Marc SCHAEFER)
Date: Sat, 6 Mar 1999 09:41:36 +0100

/etc/rc.config and set PERMISSION_SECURITY="paranoid". That way gnuplot

warning, warning.

permissions.paranoid is not supported by SuSE --- it was contributed
by me. It only fixes the problems that SuSE 5.0 had. When I have
some time again, I will do the same work with a full install of
SuSE 6.0.

At least without clear information from SuSE that /etc/permissions.paranoid
is uptodate, I would not count on it to be _absolutely_ paranoid.
After all, you are supposed to do your homeworks yourself, too :)

Also, for it to work, it needs a few things, such as an ``xok'' group,
etc, look at the start of that file.

root@laser:/home/andrea# grep gnuplot /etc/permissions.paranoid
# WHY ON HELL was gnuplot suid root !!!!!
/usr/bin/gnuplot                       root.root        755

I remember my very clean statements about this problem :)

The ``reason'', as someone pointed out, is the SVGALib. For me that's
a very bad reason to suid --- by default --- an executable.