Bugtraq mailing list archives

Re: Bug in IRC services

From: toasty () HOME DRAGONDATA COM (Kevin Day)
Date: Fri, 12 Mar 1999 19:43:04 -0600

Hello,
I've just found a big hole in services provided by IRC networks. The
services in question are Chanserv, Nickserv, Memoserv.

Most IRC networks use their own version of services, not even from the same
codebase.

So it came the new version of the servers this time with a nice feature !
You didnt need to identify the nick when the servers rejoined from the
split ! The first time I saw this I tought about how would the services
recognize me as the true nick before the split... I never had the chance to
test this theory until some days ago.

Right, you add a hostmask that services are supposed to recognize you by.
(i.e. yourident@*.yourisp.com

 So one server splitted and I took a nick from one administrator that wasn't
even online ! And for my surprise when the servers rejoined I had full
access to administrator privileges ! It just recognized the nick as a valid
one and gave me the privileges.

1) No services I know give privileges based on nick alone. You have to be
/oper'ed and/or identified by password.

2) I know for a fact DALnet's and NewNet's services don't act this way, to
name two.

This type of thing occurs because the server doesn't make any check, only
checking if the nick exists in it's database. One solution of this problem
would be keeping a database of user/ip before the split and then compare
when servers rejoin.

This may have been due to a desync, but I've never seen this before. Without
knowing the services on the network you describe, I can't comment further,
but this doesn't happen anywhere I know of.

Kevin Day
Administrator irc.dragondata.com
Services coder on NewNet.