Bugtraq mailing list archives

Re: wuftp2.4.2academ beta 12-18 exploit

From: tmogg () ZIGZAG PL (Mariusz Marcinkiewicz)
Date: Wed, 5 May 1999 08:12:55 +0000

On Mon, 3 May 1999, Gregory Newby wrote:

wu-ftpd and variants that use files /etc/ftp* for configuration
can easily help protect you against the many recent variants that
exploit buffer overflows with MKDIR.  All the varieties I've
seen require creating a directory or file - that's where the
overflow happens.

khmm, and what about local users? they can get root still
and more: I don't need +w access on ftp, if I create dirs
in $home and telnet 0 21 I can get root by simple RMD
ok, that's better protection then patches (all I've seen didn't work) but
you have bug still, not remote but bug always...

if you wanna be secure you have to install new ftpd

greetz

--
tmogg () hert org