Bugtraq mailing list archives

Re: Oracle 8 root exploit

From: levins () WESTNET COM (Adam and Christine Levin)
Date: Tue, 16 Nov 1999 15:58:09 -0500

On Tue, 16 Nov 1999, Elias Levy wrote:
One must wonder if Oracle fixed the real problem (dbsnmp being suid root
and trusting ORACLE_HOME) or whether they simply fixed the way the exploit
the problem originally posted by Gilles, thus leaving the exploit by Brook
still working.
I would appreciate it if someone could apply the patch and verify that
neither of the attack methods work any longer.

I installed the patch.  I'm running Oracle 8.0.5 on SPARC Solaris 2.6 with
recommended patches and y2k patches.

The Oracle patch changed dbsnmp so that other had no permissions.  When I
set my group to Oracle and ran it without ORACLE_HOME set, it did create
the log files in the current dir (/tmp), but it didn't follow the symlink
to /.rhosts and create that, so it looks like they did in fact fix it.

Finally, Martin Mevald <martinmv () hornet cz> claims that "tnslsnr" suid
program is similarly vulnerable under Linux Oracle 8.0.5. Can someone
verify this claim? Can someone verify Oracle versions other than Linux for
this vulnerability? Can someone let us know whether this binary is part
of the Oracle Intelligent Agent? And if so, can someone let us know if
the Oracle patch fixes the vulnerability in tnslsnr?

This binary is not suid on SPARC Solaris 2.6.  I don't believe it is part
of Intelligent Agent.  If I remember correctly, tnslsnr is the product
that listens for Oracle connections from other machines, so it's part of
the core product.

-Adam