Bugtraq mailing list archives

Re: remote DoS against inetd and ssh

From: super () CE NET (Derek Callaway)
Date: Wed, 8 Sep 1999 11:07:27 -0400

On Fri, 3 Sep 1999, Grzegorz Stelmaszek wrote:

<snip>

Both DoS`s use something known as portfuck (e.g. `while true; do telnet
host port & done`).
1. If you use it against any inetd service, inetd will shoutdown that
service for about 30 minutes (i did not checked, but it seems to be about
that time).

Of course this is also true for identd.  A cracker doesn't have to be a
superuser on a machine in order to disable identd.  This makes it
considerably more difficult for the administrators of the victim and
source hosts to recognize a perpetrator.  identd (pidentd, anyway) does
not seem to be vulnerable to this when not being wrapped by inetd.  I'm
not sure if inetd uses fork() to spawn services but if it does,  a signal
handler should be implemented that restarts services upon receipt of
SIGCHLD.

<snip>

SOLUTION:
propaply running in ulimit envirmont (like qmail does) should help and
additionally in inetd remove this strange 'protection'.

regards,
  greg AKA VanitaS

* Grzegorz Stelmaszek        *          For my public PGP key:
* mailto:greg () tenet pl       *           finger:greg () tenet pl
* http://www.tenet.pl        *         18 E9 5E 6D 78 F0 11 F2

strcpy(hostent->h_name,"jerry.garcia.rocked.com");
Derek Callaway <super () ce net>
Programmer -- CE Net, Inc.