Bugtraq mailing list archives

Re: More fun with WWWBoard

From: ben () ALGROUP CO UK (Ben Laurie)
Date: Thu, 23 Sep 1999 15:12:07 +0100

Vladimir Dubrovin wrote:

Hello Chris Ridd,

20.09.99 16:24, you wrote: More fun with WWWBoard;

C> In Apache you'd configure this as follows:

C> <Files passwd.txt>
C> deny from all
C> </Files>

or put it in some directory inside your web home and configure

<Limit GET>
deny from all
</Limit>

<Limit POST>
deny from all
</Limit>

for  this  directory.  It's more safe, because some text editors leave
backup copy of the file, for example passwd.txt~. In this case you are
safe even if you forget to remove this file.

In general, you should not use <Limit...> unless for some reason you
want your security to only apply to GET and POST methods.

Cheers,

Ben.

--
http://www.apache-ssl.org/ben.html