Bugtraq mailing list archives

Re: RUS-CERT Advisory 200004-01: GNU Emacs 20

From: glynn () SENSEI CO UK (Glynn Clements)
Date: Thu, 20 Apr 2000 04:47:33 +0100

Dan Harkless wrote:

                RUS-CERT Advisory 200004-01: GNU Emacs 20

As an XEmacs user, I would have liked to have seen one of the following
statements:

* These vulnerabilities only apply to GNU Emacs, not XEmacs.

* We do not know if these vulnerabilities also apply to XEmacs.

* These vulnerabilities apply to equally to GNU Emacs and XEmacs.

I guess that it would be option 2.

   On the systems listed above, when a new subprocess is created
   using the builtin Lisp function start-process, Emacs doesn't set
   proper permissions for the slave PTY device.

On XEmacs, start-process only uses a pty if process-connection-type is
"t", otherwise it uses (unnamed) pipes.

2. Unsafe creation of temporary files

  2.1. Scope

   All Unix-like Emacs platforms on which public directories are
   used to store temporary files.

Recent versions of XEmacs honour $TMPDIR, so there shouldn't be any
need to use public directories.

  3.3. Problem

   Functions like read-passwd do not clear the the history of
   recently typed keys. In fact, there is no way to do that from
   Emacs Lisp.

Ditto for XEmacs.

--
Glynn Clements <glynn () sensei co uk>