Bugtraq mailing list archives

Re: sperl 5.00503 (and newer ;) exploit

From: Solar Designer <solar () FALSE COM>
Date: Mon, 7 Aug 2000 21:49:26 +0400

Hi,

ii) RedHat 6.2 kernel 2.2.16 (P2 266 - 64Mb RAM) with OpenWall patches and
many other security modifications - now running for over 2 hours and still
no rootshell - load average of around 10.5 but the system is still usable.

Let me guess: you've placed the exploit script in /tmp?  You didn't
have to.

Or - install the OpenWall patches from www.openwall.com if you're running
Linux - however please note that this theory requires further testing before
the i's and t's can be dotted and crossed - no flames please. I shall
continue to play with it and let the lists know the results.

My patch does nothing to prevent or make it harder to exploit this
kind of vulnerabilities.  You should never rely on the "hardening"
features of the patch; they are not meant to be a "solution".

IMHO, a lesson to be learnt regarding these local exploits is to audit local
users on a regular basis to ensure where possible that only trusted users
and/or valid accounts exist on a system.

More importantly, the same policy should apply to SUID/SGID files.

Signed,
Solar Designer