Bugtraq mailing list archives

Re: sperl 5.00503 (and newer ;) exploit

From: Paul Rogers <paul.rogers () MIS-CDS COM>
Date: Mon, 7 Aug 2000 10:29:24 +0100

Hi,

Sorry for the cross-post - I think this is relevant.

I have tested this on several test systems all running Perl 5.00503:

i) Mandrake 6.0 kernel 2.2.16 (P2 350 - 64Mb RAM) & RedHat 6.0 kernel 2.2.16
(P3 450 - 128Mb RAM) : Both return a rootshell almost instantaneously.

ii) RedHat 6.2 kernel 2.2.16 (P2 266 - 64Mb RAM) with OpenWall patches and
many other security modifications - now running for over 2 hours and still
no rootshell - load average of around 10.5 but the system is still usable.

A solution? If you don't use perl, delete the suidperl binary typically
found in /usr/bin. If you do use perl, chmod -s suidperl whereever it is
residing, but only if you don't use any of the functionality provided by
suidperl - don't want to go breaking those scripts on mission critical
servers.

Or - install the OpenWall patches from www.openwall.com if you're running
Linux - however please note that this theory requires further testing before
the i's and t's can be dotted and crossed - no flames please. I shall
continue to play with it and let the lists know the results.

IMHO, a lesson to be learnt regarding these local exploits is to audit local
users on a regular basis to ensure where possible that only trusted users
and/or valid accounts exist on a system.

Cheers,

Paul Rogers,
Network Security Analyst.

MIS Corporate Defence Solutions Limited

Tel:            +44 (0)1622 723422 (Direct Line)
                +44 (0)1622 723400 (Switchboard)
Fax:            +44 (0)1622 728580