Bugtraq mailing list archives

Re: Tumbleweed Worldsecure (MMS) BLANK 'sa' account password vulnerability

From: "A. Trent Foley" <trent () FOLEYHOME COM>
Date: Thu, 10 Aug 2000 14:57:27 -0500

I'm not so sure I would call this a "vulnerability".  So long as the
installation instructions have you change the password prior to putting the
machine in to production, I wouldn't blame this on either Microsoft or
Tumbleweed.  After all, even Oracle Enterprise (as well as all other
Oracle's I've ever dealt with) gives the sys and system users well-known
passwords at install time.  It is up to a competent administrator to change
those passwords or else risk the inevitable.

A. Trent Foley