Bugtraq mailing list archives

Re: Tumbleweed Worldsecure (MMS) BLANK 'sa' account passwordvulnerability

From: Mark Tinberg <mtinberg () securepipe com>
Date: Mon, 14 Aug 2000 18:03:16 -0500

I would strongly disagree, just putting something like this in the
documentation
is not enough, you must force a reasonable account password (hopefully
using
something like crack to make sure it isn't trivially breakable) at
install-time.
Anything less is just asking for trouble, not even the best
administrators
remember everything, everytime, let alone the schmoe who just clicks on
the installer
and thinks everything is going to be allright.  I don't know whether
access to
the sa account is really required for this piece of software but if not
then then
it should be set to a random password at install time, at least this
will stall/prevent
remote abuse.

Oh, and just because somebody else, even a high profile company like
Oracle,
makes this mistake too doesn't make it the right way to do things.

"A. Trent Foley" wrote:

I'm not so sure I would call this a "vulnerability".  So long as the
installation instructions have you change the password prior to putting the
machine in to production, I wouldn't blame this on either Microsoft or
Tumbleweed.  After all, even Oracle Enterprise (as well as all other
Oracle's I've ever dealt with) gives the sys and system users well-known
passwords at install time.  It is up to a competent administrator to change
those passwords or else risk the inevitable.

A. Trent Foley