Bugtraq mailing list archives

Re: Is /tmp still appropriate? (was Re: [hacksware]Pine temporary file hijacking vulnerability)

From: Mark Delany <MarkD () BUSHWIRE NET>
Date: Thu, 14 Dec 2000 22:51:27 +0000

On Thu, Dec 14, 2000 at 11:04:06AM +0900, Andrew Church wrote:
I do not really think the problem is this.  /tmp is there for a reason,
and I don't really find any fault in vendors/developers for using it
accordingly.

     This has always been my initial reaction to complaints about /tmp
vulnerabilities.  But it occurred to me:  Is /tmp, perhaps, no longer
appropriate to keep around in today's Internet?

     The world-writable /tmp we all know and {love,hate} was created way
back before the Internet was anything like it is today (I assume--I wasn't

I'm not so sure that the Internet is the cause of anti-social users
sharing Unix systems.. Be that as it may, one of the biggest issues
with using /tmp is it creates a security issue for a whole class of
programs and programmers that generally don't have to worry about
security. Programmers who write general purpose shells and editors and
sorts shouldn't have to worry about security issues.

I'm sure many people have been "guilty" of writing a quick and nasty
shell script that ends in something like:  >/tmp/out.$$

     I haven't decided what my own opinion is on this yet, and I can see
solutions that allow a shared /tmp with unsafe programs (such as
disallowing creation of links or special files, or the "hlfsd" another
poster mentioned), but at any rate I think it's an issue that merits some
thought.

As you say, /tmp is pretty entrenched in a lot of code and it does
have some convenience and resource management benefits. A restricted
file system is probably the only realistic solution as that protects
all those future programmers who make the same mistake (and all us
lazy shell hackers).

Regards.