Bugtraq mailing list archives

Re: Is /tmp still appropriate?

From: Hanspeter Schmid <hanspi () COMPUTER ORG>
Date: Tue, 19 Dec 2000 06:05:57 +0100

0d0  <odo () mail tarp3 com> (" 0d0>" ) wrote:

  >> I'm sure many people have been "guilty" of writing a quick and
  >> nasty shell script that ends in something like: >/tmp/out.$$

  0d0> but why not: >./out.$$ or $MYTMP/out.$$

  0d0> why not add a few lines in the ./configure scripts that will
  0d0> allow for the creation of a $HOME/tmp (if not found) with
  0d0> proper attributes set when the software is installed?

This may come out bad on systems where users' disk quota are limited.
The tmp directory should not be subject to any quota.  So if a program
does what you're suggesting, a normal user could not install it
properly.

Kind regards,
--
Hanspeter Schmid