Bugtraq mailing list archives

Re: cache cookies?

From: MadHat <madhat () UNSPECIFIC COM>
Date: Fri, 15 Dec 2000 16:46:21 -0800

At 04:37 PM 12/14/2000 -0800, you wrote:
Thomas Reinke <reinke () E-SOFTINC COM> writes:
> Actually, it *does* work.  We have on our site a
> working demonstration of the exploit, showing whether or not
> you've visited one or more of more than 80 different well known
> sites.  The URL is
>
>    http://www.securityspace.com/exploit/exploit_2a.html

Using default cache settings and with JavaScript enabled, and without any
proxies in the picture, the exploit fails for me, saying "Cache Miss" for
all entries, even ones just visited.

Also note that the page claims that all should be there (a "Cache Hit!!!")
once you have visited the test site, but just hitting reload showed about 5
or 6 that still showed "Cache Miss" using netscape 4.76 (all default) on
Win2k  and as I keep hitting reload a different number and different sites
show "Cache Miss".

This is with Netscape Communicator 4.75 (I know, still need to upgrade to
4.76 due to the fixed buffer overflows) on Windows NT 4.0 and Netscape
Navigator 3.04 on AIX 4.1.5.

It did work with Internet Explorer, though.

Dan Harkless                   | To prevent SPAM contamination, please
dan-bugtraq () dilvish speed net  | do not mention this private email
SpeedGate Communications, Inc. | address in Usenet posts.  Thank you.

MadHat at unspecific.com