Bugtraq mailing list archives

Re: ftpd and setproctitle()

From: nic () BELLAMY CO NZ (Nic Bellamy)
Date: Sat, 8 Jul 2000 14:42:45 +1200

On Fri, 7 Jul 2000, Roger Espel Llima wrote:

Theo de Raadt wrote:
Well, while everyone is talking about setproctitle affecting wuftpd,
I should probably note that it even affects the OpenBSD ftpd.  In fact,
looking around, it looks like it might affect everyone's ftpd.

Curiously enough, this bug didn't affect the Linux port of the OpenBSD
ftpd (http://freshmeat.net/appindex/1999/10/09/939509389.html), because
it doesn't #define HASSETPROCTITLE.

There's actually more than one Linux port of the OpenBSD ftpd - for
instance the one included in Debian's netstd (from 2.1/Slink) and ftpd
(from 2.2/Potato) packages.

The Slink package *is* vunerable to this, the Potato version probably is
(according to the source) but I have not been able to check as yet.

The port they use does define a printf-like setproctitle() function, and
#defines HASSETPROCTITLE.

I mailed the Debian security people about this yesterday, with patches.

Regards,
        Nic.

-- Nic Bellamy <nic () bellamy co nz>
   Director, Bellamy Consulting Ltd.