Bugtraq mailing list archives

NT DNS Server leaks administrator account name in SOA record

From: bugtraq-l () NTA-MONITOR COM (Roy Hills)
Date: Mon, 26 Jun 2000 14:12:51 +0100

I've noticed that the Microsoft DNS server on NT Server 4.0 leaks the
administrator account name in the "contact" field of the DNS SOA record
for all zones that it is authoritative for.

For example, an DNS lookup for the SOA record of "domain.com" might
give the following answer if the built-in administrator's account name is the
default of "Administrator" and that account was used to add the "domain.com"
DNS zone:

domain.com.   86400 SOA  ns.domain.com. administrator.domain.com. (
          2000062001  ; serial
          7200   ; refresh (2 hours)
          3600   ; retry (1 hour)
          1209600   ; expire (14 days)
          86400 )   ; minimum (1 day)

If the administrator account name had been renamed from the default
"Administrator" to "Hardman", the SOA record for subsequently created
zones would be:

domain.com.   86400 SOA  ns.domain.com. hardman.domain.com. (
          2000062001  ; serial
          7200   ; refresh (2 hours)
          3600   ; retry (1 hour)
          1209600   ; expire (14 days)
          86400 )   ; minimum (1 day)

It looks like the SOA contact field is being generated from the username
that was used to add the DNS zone using DNS manager.  Often this
will be the built-in administrator account.

I think that a better behavior would be to use a fixed generic contact
such as "postmaster () domain com" which will always exist and doesn't
give away any information.

Most NT security guides advise administrators to rename the built-in
Administrator account to a hard-to-guess name.  However, if the NT server
is acting as a DNS server using Microsoft DNS server software, it is possible
to determine the name of the administrator account from an SOA query.

It is possible to manually change the contact Email address in the SOA record
to prevent this information leakage, but I suspect that most people won't
bother
to do this and will leave it at the default.  It suggest that people who
are concerned
about this manually change their SOA record contact details to something
generic like "postmaster () domain com" until a fix becomes available.

I've seen this behaviour on Windows NT Server 4.0 SP4 and SP5 running the
Microsoft DNS Server network service.  I suspect that it also occurs on other
service packs such as SP3 and SP6, but I've not verified this.  I've also not
checked if Windows2000 DNS server is affected in the same way.

Regards,

Roy Hills
NTA Monitor Ltd

--
Roy Hills                                    Tel:   +44 1634 721855
NTA Monitor Ltd                              FAX:   +44 1634 721844