Bugtraq mailing list archives

DoS in FirstClass Internet Services 5.770

From: adam.prime () UTORONTO CA (Adam Prime)
Date: Tue, 27 Jun 2000 22:35:21 -0400

We got a bizarre malformed mail from some dot com that hasn't learned about
BCC yet with a 1.4 meg To: Header.  The mail was handled fine by
Software.com's Post.Office, but when Post.Office tried to pass the mail to
our FirstClass server, the First Class Internet Services process would
hang.  I wrote a perl script to send other emails with gigantic headers,
but i was unable to reproduce the problem with just large headers (though
it did bring the system to a crawl, and eventually cause  strange things to
happen).  The original email put's the Internet Services process into "Not
responding" after only 30 seconds or so.

a demonstration perl script which will crash FCIS Internet Services is
available at http://doot.dyndns.org/fcdos.tar.gz .  Though be warned, it is
100 k or so because it contains a sanitized version of the original email
that we received (addresses obfuscated).  Emails to the vendor were not
returned or acknowledged.

Adam