Bugtraq mailing list archives

Re: shtml.exe reveal local path of IIS web directory

From: info () IS-WATCH NL (Dimitri van de Giessen)
Date: Mon, 8 May 2000 04:59:53 -0000

This are responses of microsoft security team:

Hi Dmitri -

Wanted to get back in touch and let you know what we've
found.  As you reported, the error message does provide
information about the location of the files on the server.
However, by itself this isn't a security vulnerability --
that is, it wouldn't allow someone to compromise data on
the server, prevent legitimate users from being serviced,
or usurp administrative control over the machine.  However,
it could be useful as a reconnaissance tool, and we will
definitely fix it.  We're going to be delivering a service
release via the web (OSR 1.2) very soon, and we have
already made the needed changes.

Thanks again for reporting this issue to us, and we look
forward to working with you again in the future.  Best
regards,

Secure () microsoft com