Bugtraq mailing list archives

shtml.exe reveal local path of IIS web directory

From: root () CNNS NET (Frankie Zie)
Date: Sat, 6 May 2000 23:16:35 -0000

I found there is a security problem about shtml.exe that
allows anyone to explore the local path of IIS web server.
Tested on windows2000 server.shtml.exe is a program issued
with Forntpage Extention server for viewing smart HTML
file, If we install Frontpage on Windows2000 server, a
directory names "/_vti_bin" will be installed on web root
directory. Normally we can view HTML file
or SHTML file by the following method:
http://210.145.32.98/_vti_bin/shtml.exe/postinfo.html
shtml.exe only accepts html¡¢shtml or htm files, if the
requested file does not exist, we will get the local path
of the web directory:

http://207.69.190.42/_vti_bin/shtml.exe/postinfo1.html

We get the following message:
Cannot open "d:\inetpub\wwwroot\postinfo1.html": no such
file or folder.

By the way, if we request file that does not exist and the
extention file name is not html, shtml or asp, such as
http://207.69.190.42/_vti_bin/shtml.exe/postinfo1.exe,
We'll get different message:
Cannot run the FrontPage Server Extensions' Smart HTML
interpreter on this non-HTML page: "postinfo1.exe"