Bugtraq mailing list archives

Re: New Solaris root exploit for /usr/lib/lp/bin/netpr

From: Casper.Dik () HOLLAND SUN COM (Casper Dik)
Date: Tue, 16 May 2000 08:23:39 +0200

On Mon, May 15, 2000 at 05:37:43PM +0100, Darren Moffat - Solaris Sustaining Engineering wrote:
I have not tested either of these on Solaris 8, but I am expecting it to
be vulnerable.  It also appears that Solaris 2.6 on SPARC machines may not
be exploitable unless patch 106235-03 or patch 106235-04 is installed.
How about that?  Keep up on your patches and get owned faster.  Let's hope
that Sun puts this buffer overflow silliness to rest soon.  No more buffer
overflows will mean no more buffer overflow exploits.

I'm told by my colleagues who look after printing that this is fixed in:

5.6 SPARC T106235-05 Intel T106235-05
5.7 SPARC T107115-04 Intel T106235-04
5.8 SPARC 109320-01  Intel T109321-01

I think that should be 106236-05 for 5.6 x86, and 107116-04, for 5.7 x86.

Correct, the corrected lists looks like:

5.6 SPARC T106235-05 Intel T106236-05
5.7 SPARC T107115-04 Intel T107116-04
5.8 SPARC 109320-01  Intel T109321-01

Only the Solaris 8 patch has been released sofar.

Casper