Bugtraq mailing list archives

Re: Windows NT/95/98/Possible Others Denial of Service Attack. Microsoft ODBC Database connectivity flaw.

From: jeffd () EVCOM NET (Jeff Dafoe)
Date: Tue, 2 May 2000 17:04:16 -0400

It is WELL known that Access may NOT be used for production WWW servers as
it is not thread safe and cause various problems, including crashes of
services. Especially when under heavy load or running for long period of
time.

        The majority of the symptoms that were originally described (the effects of
failing to close an ODBC connection) are also reproduceable when using a SQL
server data source.  Perhaps under Access the results are more catastrophic,
which would be inline with the symptoms that the poster decribed which were
more severe than what I have encountered.  I do know that failure to close
an ODBC connection in ASP, regardless of the underlying database system,
will eventually cause any ASP code utilizing that connection to fail.

Jeff