Bugtraq mailing list archives

Re: CVS DoS

From: kris () FREEBSD ORG (Kris Kennaway)
Date: Mon, 1 May 2000 02:55:52 -0700

On Mon, 24 Apr 2000, Kris Kennaway wrote:

On Mon, 24 Apr 2000, Kris Kennaway wrote:

of the filesystem used by CVS to maintain its lock state. It's also not
quite as serious as it might first sound, because anyone who can
legitimately connect to the CVS server remotely via CVS can cause a lock
to be taken out over any part of the repository, with the same effect.

Sorry, but on further thought I don't think this is true. Locks are only
acquired for CVS write operations, not read operations.

No, I was right the first time (pointed out to me by Peter Jeremy
<Peter.Jeremy () alcatel com au>) - both read and write operations will cause
file lock creation.

However, on FreeBSD, cvs clients can always use -R (readonly) for
checkouts, which will bypass any locking on the server (this will
therefore usually be much faster as well, since the client doesn't have to
lock as it traverses). So a malicious local user who creates faked lock
files in /tmp will only hurt external checkins, and one could argue that
you shouldn't be hosting your writable CVS repository on a host which
contains malicious users (or allows anonymous access), as a matter of
policy.

Kris

----
    -- Charles Forsythe <forsythe () alum mit edu>