Bugtraq mailing list archives

Insecure input balidation in YaBB Search.pl

From: rpc <h () ckz org>
Date: Tue, 7 Nov 2000 11:01:46 GMT

Hi Everybody,

  Kosak reported this problem to vuln-dev last night.  I downloaded the script
and did some testing.

There is an input validation problem with the 'catsearch' field, which gets
interpolated in an open statement:

open(FILE, "$boardsdir/$cattosearch") || &fatal_error("$txt{'23'}
$currentboard.txt");

where $cattosearch is a localized $catsearch, assigned:
$catsearch = $FORM{'catsearch'};

An attacker could easily create a malicious html form with a catsearch such as:
./../../../../../usr/bin/touch%20/tmp/foo|

The amount of directory traversal will vary from site to site, depending on
their YaBB setup.

--rpc <h () ckz org>