Bugtraq mailing list archives

Re: Invalid WINS entries

From: 3APA3A <3APA3A () SECURITY NNOV RU>
Date: Thu, 18 Jan 2001 13:04:29 +0300

Dear Byrne, David,

While adding new Windows NT workstation into NT domain workstation and
PDC  do  key  exchange.  Same  process  is  between  domains  in trust
relationships. This keys are used to establish secure channel for user
authentication. Keys prevents attack you described.

The  only  situation  your  scenario  works is user logon from Windows
95/98 host. This is known, documented problem.

BTW,  it  looks  like  NT  queries WINS about DC only in case it can't
contact  DC  which  does  last  authentication and there is no DC's in
local network and it doesn't depend on node type.

MS  recommends to filter WINS traffic to prevent WINS from any DoS and
spoofing attacks.

18.01.2001 0:35, you wrote: Invalid WINS entries;

--
   Vladimir Dubrovin                  Sandy, ISP
    Sandy CCd chief               Customers Care dept

http://www.security.nnov.ru