Bugtraq mailing list archives

Re: Invalid WINS entries

From: Attonbitus Deus <Thor () HAMMEROFGOD COM>
Date: Thu, 18 Jan 2001 10:40:36 -0800

H-Node (Hybrid) first uses P-Node, and only resorts to a local segment
broadcast after WINS resolution is not successful.  It is a better node that
P-Node if you are concerned with maintaining interim communications as a
fail-over should your WINS servers die, or should someone flood them with
bogus records :-).

I do not dispute the fact that the dc will register with the WINS server- it
just won't participate in the domain, which means it won't be used to
authenticate user logons.  If the point of changing the WINS records is to
masquerade your dc as valid for the purpose of capturing user logons, then
that won't work.  Now, you bring up a good question on Win9x clients- that I
don't know.  I sometimes have my blinders on in regard to my NT/2000
enterprise, so my responses are typically painted with those colors.
Thinking about it though, I can see how that may work in theory, but again,
you've got a long way to go to get there.  If you have physical access to
the internal network to the point that you can setup a bogus machine, attach
it to the local LAN, and rewrite all the records on all the WINS servers,
then there is a much bigger issue at hand.  When you have physical access to
anything, then the game is over anyway.

I'm not busting on the actual find, as I actually think it is kind of cool.
It makes for a fun Friday afternoon of screwing with the domain admins
(everyone's favorite pastime!).  I just question its overall impact on NT's
security model and its place in a forum like Bugtraqs.  Nothing personal,
just my opinion.

Later!
Attonbitus Deus
Thor () HammerofGod Com