Bugtraq mailing list archives

RE: permission probs with Arkeia

From: "Thomas Broniecki" <tb () joslyn org>
Date: Wed, 25 Jul 2001 16:51:31 -0500

Yup, The /usr/knox/arkeia/dbase is a directory tree structure for all the
backup routines and I too can access files as a non-privileged user. I have
looked for actual file names in the dbase/ directory, but haven't found any
in plain text yet. Although I could view my directory structures, library
information files, DAT pack information files, and master id number. Scary
for sure.

Non the less, if you have active non-privileged users on the backup server,
those permissions stink. There shouldn't be anyone viewing directory
information or anything else for that matter regarding backups. I don't
allow any other user on my backup server, no need to. Until Knox fixes this,
deny non-privileged users on the box if you can.

At any case, Knox needs to fix this issue. If anything, drastically limit
the access to only root or a privileged backup account.

tb.