Bugtraq mailing list archives

Mac OS X & Darwin/BSD vulnerable to telnetd overflow

From: Nathan Ollerenshaw <chrome () stupendous net>
Date: Sat, 28 Jul 2001 06:17:50 +0100

[titanium:~/desktop] chrome% ./SPtelnetAYT localhost
Telnetd AYT overflow scanner, by Security Point(R)
Host: localhost
Connected to remote host...
Sending telnet options... stand by...
Telnetd on localhost vulnerable
[titanium:~/desktop] chrome% telnet localhost
Trying 127.0.0.1...
Connected to localhost.stupendous.net.
Escape character is '^]'.

Darwin/BSD (titanium) (ttyp5)

login: ^]
telnet> close
Connection closed.

Note that by default telnet is disabled in /etc/inetd.conf (as are most things, except for portmapper/NFS, ugh) so the impact should be minimal. If you're not using the OpenSSH included with OS X, you're mad.

This was tested successfully on Mac OS X 10.0.4 from both the local machine, and from a remote Sparc Solaris 2.7 host.

I'd notify Apply, only I have no idea what address to use, and it's 6am and I've not slept yet (catching up to bugtraq from a 2 week holiday, wow, that Code Red thing was bad, glad I wasn't around when THAT baby hit, ho ho ho)

Nathan.

--
"The computer can't tell you the emotional story.
 It can give you the exact mathematical design, but