Bugtraq mailing list archives

RE: bug w2k

From: Kevin Thayer <kthayer () paypal com>
Date: Sat, 28 Jul 2001 11:30:16 -0700

Hello all,

I was able to reproduce this bug on the first try. However, the machine did
not reboot until after the ping had finished. (I did a ping -t). In
addition, it seems to work with most programs that trap keyboard input. I
tested it with traceroute (again, it worked only after the program exited),
ping, dir /s /a, and all had the same result; as soon as the program exited,
it would be run again, and then reboot.

In general, the output looks like this:

C:\> tracert yahoo.com
<program output>
<program output>
<program output>
<program output>
C:\>
C:\>
C:\>
C:\>
C:\>
C:\>
C:\> tracert yahoo.com

(reset occurs)

It appears to be the result of windows trapping the input and feeding it to
the command interpreter (cmd.exe) all at once. F7 displays a list of the
most recent commands, so it appears that windows is trying to run several
copies of an identical command simultaneously and that's making it very
unhappy. Surprising that we don't at least get a BSOD.

Cheers,
Kevin Thayer
Network Operations Engineer
PayPal Network Operations