Bugtraq mailing list archives

RE: bug w2k

From: Tom Laermans <tom.laermans () powersource cx>
Date: Sun, 29 Jul 2001 13:26:03 +0200

At 20:30 28/07/2001, you wrote:
Hello all,

I was able to reproduce this bug on the first try. However, the machine did
not reboot until after the ping had finished. (I did a ping -t).

Same here, Win2K SP2 Dutch...

It appears to be the result of windows trapping the input and feeding it to
the command interpreter (cmd.exe) all at once. F7 displays a list of the
most recent commands, so it appears that windows is trying to run several
copies of an identical command simultaneously and that's making it very
unhappy.

That was my analysis too.. well sort of... I think the 'doskey' functionality is included in cmd.exe ... but there's something not quite right in there, too many carriage returns or something ;)

Surprising that we don't at least get a BSOD.

I did... The same as the one reported before.. "Failure in module "Windows SubSystem" at <addresses here>" ... Wait 5 seconds, warmboot...

Tom

Web: http://www.powersource.cx --- ICQ#: 12120754
Also check this out:  http://kickme.to/sidewinder
Need some cheats?? http://www.chaos-cheatbase.com