Bugtraq mailing list archives

Re: trojaned Reality Fusion app

From: Henrik Nordstrom <hno () HEM PASSAGEN SE>
Date: Mon, 5 Mar 2001 00:43:54 +0100

Seems to be some automatic advertising / content push thingy, but who
knows what other functions there might be in the client.

The digit string is supposed to be a HTTP/1.1 ETag value, but I have to
agree with you that this server behaves more than odd with the ETag
values which MIGHT indicate the usage of hidden HTTP/1.1 cookies.
However, I haven't actually tested how IIS/5.0 behaves wrt ETag support
so the seen irregularities might simply be bugs/misfeatures in the
server..

--
Henrik Nordstrom

J Edgar Hoover wrote:

The executable rfupd.exe included in the Reality Fusion products bundled
with many popular cameras sends the following data to 204.176.10.168 port
80 every time you use the app, reboot your computer or change
configuration.

-----
GET /GCSE/Messages/todolist04.tag HTTP/1.1
If-Modified-Since: Sat, 03 Mar 2001 00:43:39 GMT
If-None-Match: "e9ffe1fc7aa3c01:87a"
Host: www.RealityFusion.com
Connection: Keep-Alive
-----

This is particularly disturbing since the application by its nature
enables video/audio surveillance of the user.

I'm real curious what kind of information is obfuscated in the string
If-None-Match: "e9ffe1fc7aa3c01:87a" too.

Anyone interested in dissecting the (windows) application can find it at
http://totally.righteous.net/rfupd.exe

Cheers,
zorch