Bugtraq mailing list archives

Re: trojaned Reality Fusion app

From: Mike Adams <mike.adams01 () HOME COM>
Date: Sun, 4 Mar 2001 14:10:52 -0800

It looks more like the application is GETTING data rather than sending it.

If you look at the page http://204.176.10.168/GCSE/Messages/todolist04.tag
In a regular browser, It's actually commented as to what it does.

It looks like it's some way for the application to import dynamic banners or
links from the author's site. AIM, Odigo, and even CuteFTP do something
similar with the in-application banner adds.

Just my $0.02.

I have pasted the contents of the page belowl.

--- BEGIN PASTE ---

<comment>
    Contain a list tags that specify things clients can do.
    Right now that is only one valid tag, <msg>. But we can
    add more tags anytime we want. Old clients will just
    ignore the new tags.

    There are two ways to comments your file
    1. Write your comment outside a tag, Make sure you don't have
       use any < or > characters in your comments.
    2. Write your comment inside a comment tag. You can put anything
       in your comment except the close comment tag, /command.
       This comment is inside a comment tag.
</comment>

Comment for msg tag
     msg - message that can be displayed by the client
     MsgId    -   id for current message. This is use to check if user has
seem this
                  message already.
     StartUrl -   points to a message that user will see
     EndUrl -     points to a message that we want to user to go to.
                  We will not display this message again once user has
                  come here.
     priority -   priority of the message, 1 is the highest
     expiration - expiration date of the message.

<msg>
[MsgId] 1001
[StartUrl] http://www.realityfusion.com/gcse/ezonics/FreeGL/FreeGL.html
[EndUrl] http://www.realityfusion.com/gcse/ezonics/FreeGL/FreeGLConfirm.asp