Bugtraq mailing list archives

Re: Interface promiscuity obscurity in Linux

From: Glynn Clements <glynn.clements () virgin net>
Date: Thu, 25 Jul 2002 04:50:19 +0100

Ricardo Branco wrote:

Using libpcap to put the interface in promiscuous mode, will cause that
ifconfig(8) doesn't show it!

libpcap uses setsockopt(..., SOL_PACKET, PACKET_ADD_MEMBERSHIP, ...) with
PACKET_MR_PROMISC to set the interface in promiscuous mode.

I notified this to the tcpdump-workers mailing list and the problem is
that the setsockopt() sets the promisc flag in a variable that is not the
same as the one that the SIOCGIFFLAGS ioctl() reads. I don't have the
kernel source right now to make this advisory more precise.

This issue was discussed extensively on the linux-net list back in
February, in the thread entitled "IFF_PROMISC bug?":

--
Glynn Clements <glynn.clements () virgin net>