Bugtraq mailing list archives

Re: Apache 1.3.27 mod_proxy security issue

From: "William A. Rowe, Jr." <wrowe () apache org>
Date: Tue, 29 Jul 2003 15:36:40 -0500

At 04:34 AM 7/29/2003, Michael Shigorin wrote:
On Tue, Jul 22, 2003 at 05:30:39PM -0500, William A. Rowe, Jr. wrote:
As described in the default configuration, open proxies are never
recommended [from Apache 1.3.27 conf/httpd.conf-dist];

[skip]

#        Allow from .your-domain.com

Is it reasonable to use something intentionally broken like
.your_domain.com (not even example.*) in configuration samples
like this one?

No, it's not.  We recently attempted to standardize the occurrences
of 'invalid' domain names to the accepted 'example.*' faux domains.
The stock configurations in the next releases of Apache Web Server
have corrected the few that were missed, including the example above.

On the other side of this issue, it's not unreasonable to use a class
of addresses that doesn't exist, for the purposes of prohibiting all
access until the user takes the time to properly update their conf,
IMHO.