Bugtraq mailing list archives

Re: Apache 1.3.27 mod_proxy security issue

From: Joshua Slive <joshua () slive ca>
Date: Tue, 29 Jul 2003 17:01:06 -0400 (Est (heure d'été))

On Tue, 29 Jul 2003, William A. Rowe, Jr. wrote:
At 12:31 PM 7/23/2003, Greg A. Woods wrote:

I don't know how clients are matched against domains in ACL statements
such as the above in Apache, but I will note that it is NEVER safe to
rely on the Reverse DNS alone to implement ACLs that affect the ability
of a random remote client system.

On this point, too, it would be valuable to provide an example subnet as
a preferable alternative to reverse DNS queries.  That change has not been
made yet - but is referred to our documentation project.

Apache does double-reverse lookups to assure that nothing too funky is
going on, so using dns names is relatively safe.  It is still better to
use an IP subnet for performance reasons, but the hostname may be easier
to understand as an example.

Joshua.