Bugtraq mailing list archives

Re: Siemens *35 and 45 series phones SMS Danial of Service

From: Robert Waldner <rw () coretec at>
Date: Tue, 04 Mar 2003 09:53:33 +0100

On Mon, 03 Mar 2003 23:46:09 +0100, Jan Niehusmann writes:
On Mon, Mar 03, 2003 at 01:06:43AM -0000, subj subj wrote:
 To vulnerability are subject: All versions siemens *35 and *45.
[...]
 languages from the phone language selection menu, will
 completely disable *35 series phones and result
 in a 2 minute read delay on *45 series phones. Note that

Please note that this vulnerability isn't as serious as you describe it.
At least on my S45, I am able to interrupt this 2 minute delay at any
time by pressing the 'hang up' key (but I have to press it for about half a
second instead of just hitting it), the message can be read by using
'edit message' instead of 'read message', and it can be deleted without
problems.

So while this obviously is a bug, it can hardly be called a DoS.

However, my S35i is _completely_ disabled, just as the original poster
 described, no luck with just pressing the "hang up"-key, one has to
 yank the battery out. Also, there is no "Edit Message" available until
 after one reads a message, and thus disables the phone.

Please also note that if you append something to the "%String", the bug
 no longer hits (for my S35i, that is). Most web->sms - gateways append
 some signature to SMSs, and thus, by sheer luck, can't be used to exploit
 this.

cheers,
&rw
--
/ Ing. Robert Waldner | Security Engineer |  CoreTec IT-Security  \
\   <rw () coretec at>   | T +43 1 503 72 73 | F +43 1 503 72 73 x99 /