Bugtraq mailing list archives

Re: Hysterical first technical alert from US-CERT

From: Valdis.Kletnieks () vt edu
Date: Wed, 04 Feb 2004 09:31:15 -0500

On Tue, 03 Feb 2004 07:11:49 EST, Larry Seltzer <larry () larryseltzer com>  said:

First, it's dated 1/28, the day MyDoom.B was discovered, and the message sent
 field says
that too; other dates in the headers disagree.

Oh, like the fact that a lot of mail servers were getting pounded by MyDoom.*A*
doesn't mean that there could be delays along the line? (Remember to add in the
timezones - at least some of the boxes are running in GMT not EST5EDT).

Second, and more to the point, it takes an extreme view of MyDoom.B that nobody else is
supporting, including the sources they cite. MyDoom.B is a flop.

OK. So let's see.  We've got one highly successful virus (MyDoom.A) on the
loose at the time of writing, another variant that's essentially identical
except for the target, and no clear indication why this one *shouldn't*
take off as well.

Yes, it took an extreme view that nobody is supporting *NOW*.  Now isn't
last Wednesday night, when there wasn't a week's worth of hindsight.

Yes, it fizzled.  Please point us at the information available to the CERT
guys *at the time* that proves there was *no* way that MyDoom.B could
possibly ever be a real threat.  What would you have the CERT guys do,
*not* send the advisory just because they aren't 100% sure at the time?

I suppose you also understand why MyDoom-A was huge and Dumaru-whatever that
showed up 2 days before was a yawner.  Also, note that I got more copies of
Dumary in the first 2 hours of THAT one than I got *total* of MyDoom-A - so
based on the first 2 hours from where *I* am, Dumaru was looking like a much
bigger event.

Am I misreading something? Did anyone else get this on 1/28?

Date: Wed, 28 Jan 2004 19:12:09 -0500

Looks like some delay there.  But it was already at SecurityFocus's qmail
within seconds (the Date: is actually 31 seconds ahead of the Received: once
you allow for timezones - somebody isn't using NTP ;)