Bugtraq mailing list archives

RE: Hysterical first technical alert from US-CERT

From: "Larry Seltzer" <larry () larryseltzer com>
Date: Wed, 4 Feb 2004 09:41:39 -0500

OK. So let's see.  We've got one highly successful virus (MyDoom.A) on the loose at
the time of writing, another variant that's essentially identical except for the target,
and no clear indication why this one *shouldn't* take off as well.
Yes, it took an extreme view that nobody is supporting *NOW*.  Now isn't last
Wednesday night, when there wasn't a week's worth of hindsight.

The advisory specifically says that MyDoom.B is spreading rapidly, and that was never
the case. It didn't say that it *could* spread rapidly. Maybe you think misinforming in
order to induce caution is a good idea, but I expect nothing but the truth from an
agency like this.

Larry Seltzer
eWEEK.com Security Center Editor
http://security.eweek.com/