Bugtraq mailing list archives

RE: EEYE: Microsoft ASN.1 Library Length Overflow Heap Corruption

From: Tina Bird <tbird () precision-guesswork com>
Date: Tue, 10 Feb 2004 16:23:38 -0800 (PST)

On Tue, 10 Feb 2004, Rainer Gerhards wrote:

And that the server is more likely to be attacked is just an assumption
- in the days of class A vuln sweeps and random worm scans, I don't
think that servers are at most risk. In fact, I think the unprotected
home machines are...

Yes, but...

In order to trigger the ASN.1 vulnerabilities an attacker has to be able
to get the target machine to invoke its BER decoding capabilities.  I
certainly don't know the details -- maybe someone here does? -- but it's
gotta be a little difficult to send a random network packet to get a
desktop machine (that is, not a domain controller or an AD server or
something) and get it to invoke MSASN1.

I can imagine lots of attacks that require user intervention to hit this
one (like opening a hostile SSL-based web site) -- but can this be
triggered without user intervention?

thanks for more info -- tbird