Bugtraq mailing list archives

Re: Microsoft and Security

From: Charles Otstot <charles.otstot () ncmail net>
Date: Mon, 12 Jul 2004 07:47:27 -0400

Valdis.Kletnieks () vt edu wrote:

On Mon, 05 Jul 2004 16:10:36 PDT, Alun Jones <alun () texis com>  said:
<snip>

Proof that Microsoft still needs to re-educate some high-level people: the
fact that there was *any* thought given to making SP2 only install on
"legal" copies and locking out pirated copies.  The number of people running
pirated copies that actually will buy legit ones just to install SP2 is quite
likely tiny - but the number of people running pirated ones that would end
up remaining insecure is much larger.  This one *should* have been a no-brainer:

<snip>

I won't argue the rest of your points, however, this one I would consider invalid. Here, I have to agree with Microsoft's original concept. Those with pirated copies have no claim to, nor a right to, any fixes (security or otherwise) from Microsoft. While an argument could be made that not permitting these people to have fixes could endanger innocent users and others with legal copies, this is at best a morally ambiguous and thin argument. The simple fact is, those who use pirated software (be it Microsoft's or anyone else's), are simply thieves who do not deserve to reap any benefits from their actions.

Charlie