Bugtraq mailing list archives

Re: LinkSys WRT54G administration page availble to WAN

From: Valdis.Kletnieks () vt edu
Date: Tue, 01 Jun 2004 15:09:04 -0400

On Tue, 01 Jun 2004 16:43:05 +0200, Steffen Mueller <steffen.mueller () vision-it de>  said:

did you check the alternative firmwares available for the Linksys ?

Great enhancements are available from SVEASOFT.

http://www.sveasoft.com/modules/phpBB2/index.php

I haven't looked, but all the same, it's probably insanely great.

The problem is that 95% of the people that buy a Linksys couldn't figure out
how to jump through all the hoops to install it.

Sure, Alan can install it.  And probably a few dozen others on the list will be
motivated to do the firmware upgrade.  However, if Linksys sold 5 million of
these critters, that leaves 4,999,950 or so with lame defaults....

Consider another example - it's *quite* possible to nail down a Windows box to
drastically tighten the security on it.  Why do we still have problems? Because
it isn't that way "out of the box", and users can't/won't do it after unboxing
it....