Bugtraq mailing list archives

RE: LinkSys WRT54G administration page availble to WAN

From: "Alan W. Rateliff, II" <lists () rateliff net>
Date: Mon, 31 May 2004 18:58:54 -0400

-----Original Message-----
From: Matthew Caron [mailto:matt () mattcaron net]
Sent: Monday, May 31, 2004 5:19 PM
To: Alan W. Rateliff, II
Cc: bugtraq () securityfocus com
Subject: Re: LinkSys WRT54G administration page availble to WAN

Isn't that the Linksys product that runs Linux and all these
folks have
been making custom firmware for? If so, can't one of those folks fix
this bug if Linksys it taking too long?

Perhaps, but the points still remain that LinkSys is distributing a
vulnerable product through all channels, retail stores are blowing this item
out with rebates, and Joe Average User isn't going to upgrade to a custom
Linux-based firmware because chances are he or she is not aware of it.

Also, I have received a shit-storm of auto-replies from my original post.
Hey, people, DON'T SUBSCRIBE TO A LIST USING AN ADDRESS WITH
AUTO-RESPONDERS!!

After wading through 30-or-so of these auto-responses, I found three valid
emails.  The general answer is that I had an open dialogue with LinkSys
support (case #AEV-14523-534, which refers to #KNU-66355-624,) the problem
was originally noted to them on 04/28/04, and because of my open dialogue
with LinkSys support I did not send an email to any other address or
department at LinkSys.

In regards to the last part, I do now feel somewhat remiss for not having
done so, however at the same time a proven security issue should be properly
communicated from support to the appropriate department.  That seems to not
be the case, and assumption is the evil of all root.

--
       Alan W. Rateliff, II        :       RATELIFF.NET
 Independent Technology Consultant :    alan2 () rateliff net