Bugtraq mailing list archives

Re: Changes to the filesystem while find is running - comments?

From: psz () maths usyd edu au (Paul Szabo)
Date: Tue, 23 Nov 2004 12:38:52 +1100 (EST)

James,

  PARENT=stat(".");
  SUBDIR=stat("subdir");
  chdir("subdir");
  DOT=stat(".");
  if (SUBDIR != DOT) {
    Print warning message    /*[1]*/
  }
  else {
    Go on with find (recurse)
  }
  chdir("..");
  DOT=stat(".");
  if (PARENT != DOT) {
    Print message
    Exit with fatal error
  }

Certainly.  In fact it's how GNU findutils is implemented, except for
the fact that the "warning message" is a fatal error in GNU findutils
releases up to and including 4.2.5.  In later versions (we're
currently at 4.2.7 on ftp://alpha.gnu.org/gnu/findutils) a hack was
introduced to try to support a special case which works when we've
traversed an automount mount point on Solaris).

So, you already do the "where did I get back to after chdir(..)" check?

This algorithm is certainly robust, but it will never descend into an
automount directory hierarchy.  Do you think we can do better than
that without opening the door to more exploits?

Hmm... It would not descend into just-now-changed automounts (and it may
not be able to get back out of them), but it should be able to traverse
reasonably long-lived mounts.

Cheers,

Paul Szabo - psz () maths usyd edu au  http://www.maths.usyd.edu.au:8000/u/psz/
School of Mathematics and Statistics  University of Sydney   2006  Australia