Bugtraq mailing list archives

Re: Diebold Global Election Management System (GEMS) Backdoor Account Allows Authenticated Users to Modify Votes

From: Homer <hparker () homershut net>
Date: Wed, 22 Sep 2004 13:21:02 -0500

On Tue, 2004-09-21 at 10:05, pressinfo () diebold com wrote:

Diebold strongly refutes the existence of any "back doors" or "hidden
codes" in its GEMS software.  These inaccurate allegations appear to
stem from those not familiar with the product, misunderstanding the
purpose of legitimate structures in the database.  These structures
are well documented and have been reviewed (including at a source code
level) by independent testing authorities as required by federal
election regulations.

        And the reason that something this critical isn't open source so that
*everyone* that wants to audit it can is? There is no way I will use one
of those to process my vote till it has been proven to not have back
doors. Independent testers are nice, but not enough to prove beyond a
doubt that there are no hidden entries, and that 1 + 1 still = 2 in your
calculations. Especially with the way this election year is going, I
don't trust *anyone*. Just my 2 cents worth.

--
Homer Parker                    /"\ ASCII Ribbon Campaign
BOFH for homershut.net          \ / No HTML/RTF in email

"Bill Gates reports on security progress made and the challenges ahead."
-- Microsoft's Homepage, on the day an SQL Server bug crippled large
   sections of the Internet.