Bugtraq mailing list archives

Re: SHA-1 broken

From: Dan Harkless <bugtraq () harkless org>
Date: Thu, 17 Feb 2005 18:22:31 -0800

On February 17, 2005, Michael Cordover <michael.cordover () gmail com> wrote:
On Wed, 16 Feb 2005 14:56:27 +0200, Gadi Evron <gadi () tehila gov il> wrote:

Where do we go from here?

The standard response to "where to now" seems to be Whirlpool
[http://planeta.terra.com.br/informatica/paulobarreto/WhirlpoolPage.html].
 That or Tiger [http://www.cs.technion.ac.il/~biham/Reports/Tiger/].

There has indeed been a lot of positive buzz about Whirlpool.  I have seen
comments, though, that Whirlpool is quite slow, but that Tiger is pretty
reasonable on 64-bit CPUs.

No doubt we'll see more analyses of these as the old standbys start to look
more and more shaky.

The team which has cracked SHA1 is the same that cracked MD5 and
exposed weaknesses in the RIPEMD model.  They're good.  And they've
shown that what I would've thought to be the Next Best Thing - RIPEMD

Yeah, for instance RIPEMD-160 is the only other message digest algorithm
currently implemented in the OpenSSL library that would be worth using
(other than perhaps MDC2, which I haven't seen much discussion of -- it's
apparently a method of constructing a 128-bit output hash function out of a
block cipher -- the OpenSSL implementation uses DES).

- is yet another flawed system.

The original RIPEMD is indeed flawed, as shown by Hans Dobbertin in '95 for
a reduced-round version and by the Chinese team for the full-round version.
However, I have not seen analysis saying that this weakness also applies to
RIPEMD-128 / RIPEMD-160 / RIPEMD-256 / RIPEMD-320
(<http://www.esat.kuleuven.ac.be/~bosselae/ripemd160.html>), the
strengthened versions which were co-developed by Dobbertin in '96, partially

Pages like The Hashing Function Lounge
(<http://planeta.terra.com.br/informatica/paulobarreto/hflounge.html>) agree
with this separation of RIPEMD vs. the RIPEMD-160 family.

--
Dan Harkless
http://harkless.org/dan/