Dailydave mailing list archives

RE: Lame studies that people quote as fact that have no basis in reality and still don't prove anything even if they did

From: "Chris Eagle" <cseagle () redshift com>
Date: Wed, 4 Feb 2004 12:13:36 -0800

Blue Boar wrote:

In other words, I thinks the costs of fixing things after the
fact has
gotten so much cheaper that it makes financial sense to go ahead and
allow for that.

Probably true with today's rapid develop/ship/update model of software
sales. I think a lot of these studies dealt with very old systems for
which the original programmers were long gone and you had to pay people
to spend time learning an outdated language and getting up to speed on
code before they could even begin to think about patching a problem.

I also think they were referring more towards cases in which new
functionality needs to be added to existing code, or existing
functionality modified to some significant degree. Vulnerabilities
don't tend to fall into either of these categories.

Chris