Dailydave mailing list archives

Re: Can Dave be cloned?

From: Michael Murray <mmurray () episteme ca>
Date: Tue, 05 Oct 2004 18:42:09 -0400

David (and all),

I went through this exact same issue when I opened a new office for our vuln
research group, and found only one (somewhat frightening) answer: you have
to put in the work.  To find a handful of really strong people who could put
up with the intensity of our schedule and tasks (requiring pretty much the
same set of qualifications you have), we went through around 700 resumes,
and over 200 really intense interviews (including more than a few Java and
MCSE experts... ;)

Ross Perot had a great quote about hiring strong people: "eagles don't flock
together.  You have to find them one at a time."

While it may seem extreme to do that many interviews, it was worth every
minute of it.  We also managed to strike a good mix of experienced engineers
and more than a few of the 'potentials' that others were talking about.

On the topic of potential: if I have to choose, I'll take an insatiable
curiosity and an ability to soak up new knowledge like a sponge over formal
a CS education any day.  You can teach somebody to code.  You can't teach
somebody to WANT to code.

-M