Dailydave mailing list archives

Re: ACM

From: Andre Ludwig <andre.ludwig () gmail com>
Date: Tue, 11 Jan 2005 09:34:10 -0500

It boils down to this, it will never stop (research, development of
malware, and all those crazy bad ideas people have) regardless of what
laws or passed. The people who develop such things do it for various
reasons,  be it personal enjoyment,  be it monetary gain (those people
wont stop come hell or high water), be it for twisted egotistical
pursuits, be it for social standing in any of the mentioned groups of
people, be it a bajillion and three different reasons.  Such laws to
stifle research will only put such knowledge out of reach of the
majority.  And lets face it the majority is exactly the group that
NEEDS to know about these flaws so that they can protect themselves
from such risks.   If the minority is protected and the majority
isn't, the minority is still running unprotected.   Don't you love the
power of the Nth?

Such laws just remind me of the intellectual clamp down during the
Renaissance era where nation states (and the church) began to fear the
development and application of such barbaric technologies as the
printing press.   I guess when you are shitting bricks trying to
figure things out one would tend to side with knee jerk reactions.
Instead of forcing such research into the shadows or into "governed
groups" this sort of research and awareness should be pushed to the
masses of idiots.. err people who use this technology on a daily
basis.   When they become aware of the issues and ways to mediate them
that is the point in time where security transitions from an elusive
shadow art into part of a foundation of society.   Once that occurs
the world will be this magical place where puppies run in fields of
grass and fire hydrants, and naked supermodels flock to lonely geeks
for that all elusive sexual romp in the back of your maybach.

Well nuff of the meaningless ranting and bullshit, i need food and
caffeine.   Feel free to destroy my perception of reality and ego.

Andre