Dailydave mailing list archives

RE: funny comments from Hack IIS6 contest admin

From: "Roger A. Grimes" <roger () banneretcs com>
Date: Sat, 14 May 2005 08:51:05 -0400

Re-read the posting.  I said MOST people on the list would not be able
to hack the site if the reward was bigger.  That is because MOST people
on the list don't have the skillz and could not acquire them.  Serious
hacking is something either you have or you don't...I'm not talking
about the hacking where you must rely on a misconfiguration to be
successful (because our box is not misconfigured), but the zero-day
stuff.

I assure you that the hackers that are capable of hacking this box are
motivated for far less money, if any.  Take Dave at Immunity.  He makes
more money than the average hacker, but I assure you that he makes far
less than $250K on each hack he discovers.  (Tell me if I'm wrong,
Dave).  Professional hackers may make more than $250K, but what
motivated them initially was far less money, if any.  The best hackers
in the world that released the most devastating exploits, did it for
free...not money. It was either to improve the product or for the
"glory" in the community.  Consistent hackers...the best...want more
money...but what motivated them initially was far less.

Would more money motivate more people?  Yes, of course.  But Anthony,
people like you wouldn't be able to hack it regardless of the award.  In
fact, Anthony, I'll personally give you, and you alone, $2000 reward of
my own money, if you hack it (by yourself without any external help) by
midnight tonight.  Go!

If fact, tell me the IP address you're hacking from (so I can track you)
and send one original hack that might possibly be successful...I doubt
you can even do that.  It won't get you any award, but at least I won't
see you as the poser you so obviously are.

Or are you already calling your more knowledgable friends for help or
deciding on what witty response to send why you don't hack my box?

Roger A. Grimes
admin () hackiis6 com