Dailydave mailing list archives

Re: RE: funny comments from Hack IIS6 contest admin

From: Bas Alberts <bas.alberts () immunitysec com>
Date: Sat, 14 May 2005 22:24:51 -0400

Hello Roger,

I usually refrain from getting sucked into DD discussions, but I felt
I had to make some comments here. All egos aside, I think what's
ocurring here is the old 'admin' vs 'hacker' misconception debate.

First of all, it's true that a lot of people don't hack because
they're motivated by monetary gain. They hack because they..well
.want to hack. Now this crowd of researchers would not give up
a good bug against IIS6, because hey..less hacking for them.

The people that do have some financial motive in what they do clearly
aren't motivated by any such challenge either. Especially since
traditionally these things have always turned out to be marketing
shams (remember the Last Stage of Delirium vs. Argus Pitbull
debacle? Look it up.)

Point being, are there w2k3 0day bugs out there? Most definitely.
Are there bugs in IIS6? I'm almost certain there are, if not the
IIS6 team will have pulled off the greatest feat in software
engineering ever, completely bugfree software. Clearly history
does not tend to agree.

Can your box be owned? Yes, given enough resources and motivation
I personally believe anything and everything can be owned. Will
people be motivated by such a construction as your contest? Not
likely. Personally I have to say I didn't even look twice, hell
I haven't even visited the website. It sort of reminds me of
some Dutch 'hack this win2k box' contest though, which at the
time could have been easily owned by a plethora of 0day bugs
floating around at the time. Guess what? It never happened.

You talk about the history of 'most devastating exploits' etc.
implying an altruistic nature of 'real hackers'. Personally
I've met very few 'real hackers' who willingly give up their
research.

Historically really good bugs get 'killed'...and often the people
to publically disclose them are not the ones who first found
the issue. It's naive to think that any one person has special
powers, and you have to assume that things you'll hear about
2 years from now are already actively being exploited. This is
just the reality of things.

In any event, I hope that sheds some light on the issue of
0day and people's willingness to give said commodity up.

G'luck with your contest.

Sincerely,
Bas