Dailydave mailing list archives

Re: Recent vuln disclosure papers/presentations

From: <halvar () gmx de>
Date: Wed, 8 Jun 2005 13:14:28 -0700

Hey all,

please do not consider this email as flamebait, it is not intended to be.

that in the end it is economics that rules including
in the information security sphere.

The interesting part is that "economics" has taken the place of "ideological
argumentation", with very little difference. From a science-theoretical
(german word is "wissenschaftstheoretischer", e.g. the theory on how sciences are constructed and pursued) standpoint economics is a particluarly fascinating animal, since in almost all cases the authors of a paper know in advance what they're trying to show. They then set out to construct a model that allows their target to be deduced. This is still in tune with what many physicists would do.

The interesting part comes in the "empirical" portion of a majority of the economics papers: A dataset is presented that does not contradict the presented thesis. I am still somewhat confused how the existence of at least one noncontradicting dataset
implies validity of the thesis, but I am just a lowly student ;)

I love economics papers. The cool part about economics is that one can support
(almost) any thesis with it.

Cheers,
Halvar